Tasmanian cases highlighted during National Missing Persons Week

THE cases of seven missing Tasmanian people are being profiled as part of National Missing Persons Week, with a renewed plea for public information to help solve the mysteries.

They are among 169 active missing persons cases in the state.

Tasmania Police Missing Persons Unit Sergeant John Delpero said in Tasmania, about 125 people were reported missing each year.

“While over 97 per cent of missing persons are located, sadly a small number of those people are not located safe and well,’’ he said.

“If you know anything about a missing person, even if you think it may be insignificant, please come forward — you could have the piece of information that assists police to locate a missing person and find answers for the loved ones left behind.”


Also known as Nancy, Margaret Sarnek was last seen on August 22, 1975, aged 40.

She was last seen at Franklin St, George Town and was reported missing by her husband who has since passed away.

Margaret is 157cm tall, of slim build with greying hair and green eyes. She spoke with an English accent and was last seen wearing slacks and a dark coloured blouse.

Police said she has three daughters who were desperately seeking answers about their mother’s disappearance.


Dale was last seen leaving his home in New Norfolk, on December 11, 2016, when he was aged 59.

Police said he had left his home, as he did every Sunday morning, to get the paper and breakfast for himself and his neighbour. He did not return and hasn’t been seen since.

He was driving a 1993 blue Ford Fairmont, registration DE8536, and police said he would rarely venture far from home in his vehicle.

Dale’s vehicle has not been found and his disappearance is considered to be out of character.


A $250,000 reward is in place for information leading to the conviction of a person or people involved in the death of Helen Munnings.

In June 2012, the coroner declared Helen to be deceased, having died on or about July 23, 2008.

She was last seen on that day at Marine Terrace in Burnie, and was wearing plain black trousers, a black hooded top and had her hair in a ponytail.

Helen was about 160cm tall, of small build, with a fair complexion and brown hair.

She has a small tattoo of stars and the moon on her right wrist, and a butterfly on her lower back.

Police said the investigation around Helen’s disappearance remained open and was being treated as suspicious.


Ian was 51 when he went missing on September 18, 1989.

He was last seen at Dago Point, Lake Sorell where he was involved in the construction of a shack in conjunction with the Vietnam Veterans Association.

He normally resided at Kingston Beach.

Ian, who has tattoos on both his forearms, was last seen by two anglers heading towards the boat ramp to inquire about getting a lift to Hobart.

Police said Ian’s daughter was 15 at the time he went missing and was seeking information to locate her father.


A nightwatchman, Ronald Johnstone was last seen on July 4, 1956, aboard the vessel MV Merino which was docked at Kings Wharf in Invermay.

He was 53. He was reported missing by his wife after he failed to return home.

Ronald’s bicycle was found at the wharf and he was last known to be wearing khaki overalls, a khaki shirt and a dark tweed suit jacket.

An extensive search was done but Ronald was not located.

He is survived by a daughter.


Barry Calvert was 25 when he went missing on April 17, 1963.

At the time of his disappearance Barry was a soldier and he was last seen at the Paterson Army Barracks on St John St, Launceston.

Investigations revealed differing possibilities about his disappearance and it was possible he may have travelled to the mainland.

Police said he may also go by the surname of Broomhall.


Dale was 32 when he went missing, and was last seen at Hartz Mountain in Geeveston on April 25, 2004.

Police said Dale told his family he intended to visit that area and was going to return home later the same day.

He left his home at Warrane driving a white Holden Sunbird, which was later found in the carpark at the start of the walking track at Hartz Mountain.

Police said Dale was carrying a dark blue and grey backpack and wearing a grey crew neck jumper, fawn Sherpa lined jacket and black boots.

A man matching his description was spoken to by another walker, but an extensive search failed to locate the man.

Anyone with information about any of the cases is urged to phone Tasmania Police on 131 444, or anonymously via Crime Stoppers at crimestopperstas.com.au or 1800 333 000.